As you’re thinking about the holidays, don’t forget about one coming up early in 2012: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day on January 16, 2012. “Don’t make it a day off, make it day *on!*”
Need some ideas how you and your family can participate in a service project to honor Dr. King? If you’re in the Bay Area, Oshman Jewish Community Center of Palo Alto has done a great job of pulling together lots of options:
- Taking care of our earth and environment
- Planting trees, restoring habitats, picking fruit, gardening
- Confronting Hunger & Homelessness
- Serve a meal in a shelter, sort at a food bank, pack bag lunches, make scarves, build a house
- Supporting those with illness
- Decorate, make joke books, serve desserts, make soup
- Honoring our elders
- Visit, make placemats or play bingo
See the full listings and then sign up your family!
They also ask that you bring a non-perishable food item for Second Harvest Food Bank.
If you don’t happen to be near Palo Alto, All for Good site has a special “MLKDay” category that lets you find opportunities near where you are. (For me, it still included several things that weren’t strictly MLK Day focused…)